Tuesday 22 October 2013

Create Everyday Challenge!

I have a lot on my plate lately.. After all, this is the selling season and so with 3 Christmas Markets coming up starting the middle of next month, I feel like I am buried under a big, messy pile of work.
So you can only imagine the state of my studio at the moment!!

Now, although I love my job and it's a dream come true and all that....It's still a little frustrating when I feel like I have no time to create art JUST for myself. And of course I do, of course I have time. I am always preaching to people that they should make time in their day to be creative, even if they can only spare 5 mins and then here I am, not practising what I preach. So hypocritical! 

So, I've decided to try to create some kind of art that is separate from my "work" art everyday for 30 days. It doesn't have to be a full blown masterpiece, it can be a canvas, an art journal page, a sketch or even just something tiny scribbled on a scrap piece of paper. Just as long as I am being creative and taking a few minutes out of my work day to create art that is solely for the sake of making art. This is a similar process to art journalling I suppose but I think it will be different in many ways too. 

I started today, and I started with a painting...



I flicked through some old magazines and came across this picture of some flowers in a bucket. I was drawn to it because of the colour of the flowers and I also like the composition. I decided to paint my own interpretation of it - in my own style of course.




I created the entire painting using acrylics and then I used Sharpie markers to add detail and depth. I also highlighted certain parts with a white Sakura Gelly Roll pen.



I was happy with how the painting turned out considering that I don't usually paint my subjects. I will be interested to see how my painting skills develop over the 30 days.

I hope that you tune in everyday to see the art that I will be creating over this "Create Everyday Challenge" and maybe you will even join in!

As a matter of fact, I urge you to. If you do decide to join in with the challenge and would like to feature some of your artwork on my blog all you have to do is simply email photos of your artwork at ciaramcguireart@gmail.com 

Happy creating!

Ciara
xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...