Saturday 4 May 2013

Tutorial: Scrap Paper Bunting



Hi everyone!

Today is Saturday so that can only mean one thing.... The Waste-Paper Bin Challenge! This is the first tutorial in the WPBC series where I will be showing you how to make something creative from what is essential junk, every Saturday for the next 5 weeks.

I thought I would start off with something that is easy to make but still looks really pretty when finished; Scrap Paper Bunting! This bunting is a great way to use up all those left over scraps of paper and can be used as a unique and money saving way to decorate for a party or to spruce up your craft/art studio.

Anyway, enough talking, lets get creating ;)


  • First, rummage through your waste paper bin and find scraps of paper, card, old bits of ribbons etc that you can use to create your bunting. Below are some of the items I came up with.


  • Prepare your scraps by cutting them to the size and shape you want, folding them in half  to create a crease and applying a generous coating of white glue (such as PVA) on to the inside. Place the scrap over the string in the position that you like it to be. Fold over and press down firmly, trapping the string on the inside.

  • Once the glue has dried a little you can then use your scissors to carefully cut a small triangle shape in the bottom of the scrap. This creates the illusion of a flag instead of just a piece of paper.

  • You now have the basics of creating  Scrap Paper Bunting! Once you have the paper scraps in position you can alter or decorate them how you wish.  Why not use a paper punch or a deckle scissors to add that extra bit of flair to your bunting? Just let your imagination flow!
.
  • You don't have to be limited to just paper for this project though.  As I have shown above among my findings was a dried out wet wipe that I used to mop up paint and ink spills.  To my delight it looked like it had been Tie-Dyed!  So I cut it into rough strips and tied it in a knot around the string. I was really impressed with the results

    And there you have it, Scrap Paper Bunting! Done.



I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, let me know if you give it a go, send me your photos I'd love to see your take on it!
Stop by next week for WPBC no 2 - Scrap Petal Artwork

Have a happy + creative day!

Ciara
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...