Saturday 4 May 2013

May You Be: Patient



Hi everyone!

If you are born anywhere between April 21 to May 21 then your star sign is Taurus. One of  a Taurus' many  good traits is patience, a trait many of us admire in others and strive for in ourselves.

Some of us have more of it than others or perhaps have more or less of it depending on the task at hand.  I know, for example, I tend to have bags and bags of patience when it comes to my artwork, if I make a mistake or something isn't going exactly how I want it to I will just keep on trucking, however when it comes to something I'm less interested in such as housework or unravelling tangled jewellery well, lets just say I have been known to throw a couple of tantrums and stamp my foot in a princess like manner.

What is it about patience that seems to be so valued? 

The definition of patience is the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset and this implies self control and forbearance which are other good traits to have I suppose. If you are patience and have perseverance, you have a very high chance of succeeding in whatever task you are taking on.


But what if you are one of those people who struggles to be patient, you have a bee in your bonnet and you just want things done NOW. What can you do in order to help you develop your patience skills? Here are a few unconventional ways that you can do this: 

1. Get Lost On Purpose: Grab your Ipod and leave the phone at home! Walk out your front door with no plan as to where you will end up. Get lost! With a little patience you will always find your way back home.

2. Cook From Scratch:  Do you remember your last trip to McD's? Can you remember how fast they had your food in front of you ready for you to eat? I'm going to guess it was pretty quick. If our order takes longer than 2 minutes these days it is considered to be slow! To improve your patience skills (and your health) I recommend you avoid fast food restaurants and start to cook your meals from scratch.

3. Read: I have a bad habit of giving up on a book after a few pages if it hasn't gripped my attention by then. What I should really do is persevere on and see where it takes me because on the odd occasion that I have done this they turned out to be pretty good.  In any case, reading a book from cover to cover can be a very rewarding exercise and can help you appreciate the importance of patience.

4. Do Something Creative:  My favourite piece of advice is to, of course, turn your frustration into a way to create something beautiful. I have personal experience with creative ideas not wanting to click together but I know that will a little patience, eventually everything will fall into place.

5. Slow Down:  We all have a tendency to rush around from time to time, especially if we have a lot on our plate and feel we don't really have time to stand in line at the supermarket for 5 minutes or be sitting in a queue of traffic for 10. But before we rush into doing a U-turn or getting worked up in the supermarket line, slow down, take a few deep breathes. Getting annoyed won't make the line move any quicker. Take that few minutes to take a rest, being so busy all the time can be tiresome, it's nice to have a few minutes in our day to take a rest.

Can you think of any areas of your life that you could do with exercising a little more patience? Do you have any tips or tricks you use to help keep yourself patience in testing times? Leave a comment and let me know!

Ciara
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...